Thursday, August 22, 2013

On the Altar Guild

A new altar guild member here related her first "actual" experience as part of our altar guild. It reinforces my notion that it is of critical importance for pastors to spend time with the altar guild.  This society is the most important group in a Christian congregation.   It is the first group to which any new pastor should pay attention. More important than the board of elders or trustees; even more important than the church council itself is the altar guild.  

Here's what the lady wrote: "Even tho I can't explain why, I found myself holding back tears of awe as I helped clean the blood of Christ. I've always known that every Sunday the body and blood of Christ is in our church, and even that I take the sacrament, but never before have I felt so humbled and grateful. I'm very happy that I accepted the invitation to join altar guild and eternally grateful for the reason it exists."

Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Neither spam, vulgarity, comments that are insulting, slanderous or otherwise unbefitting of Christian dignity nor anonymous posts will be published.