Thursday, April 14, 2011

Call Day Update from CID

Below I predicted that Call Day would see between 5%-10% of the men not receive full-time calls. Alas, it appears I was an optimist. Several readers from the CID have let me know that their district president just sent out an email announcement for all the district parish newsletters. It reads, in part: "It is anticipated that approximately 20-30 Seminary candidates will have to wait until after Call Day before receiving their first call."

Please note, that's 20-30 not receiving any call - some number will also, of course, receive calls that will be intentionally part-time in nature.

Pray for these young men and their families. And pray for wisdom among the men who have the charge to fix this imbalance. And if you know someone contemplating Seminary - by all means encourage him to first make sure he has a back up plan for feeding his family.

+HRC

8 comments:

  1. I heard from a very reliable source that they are short 8 calls right now. I don't know if that is just CTS or if that is from both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the CTS Placement Director was telling students yesterday that we are eight short. Lord willing, that number will remain that low and eventually reach zero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great news for CTS!

    I hope that things are progressing that well at CSL as well.

    +HRC

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as I know, and I know fairly well, all the candidates for St. Louis are slotted for placement. We are short no calls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - color me surprised. Over the course of four hours I've gone from too optimistic to too pessimistic.

    I should be used to being wrong by now. . .

    At any rate, that is very good news.

    +HRC

    ReplyDelete
  6. And now. . . I'm receiving emails telling me that things might *not* be so good. It seems that there is some distinction between being "slotted" for a call and actually getting the call. If I understand it correctly, both seminaries slot their students in the available calls, but they do this independently of each other with the same list, and then it comes down to the COP actually making the final decisions if any of the potential "any seminarian" calls get double booked.

    So. . . I don't know what to think. The newsletter announcement from the CID DP is the only public information we have - but both seminaries are currently telling students much better news. I hope that the latter is the truth of the matter.

    +HRC

    ReplyDelete
  7. A rumor, from very good sources, is that 4 CTS candidates are slotted for LC-C placement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ritewinger,

    Yes, several were so placed in 2009 and 2010, so I'm not surprised.

    +HRC

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Neither spam, vulgarity, comments that are insulting, slanderous or otherwise unbefitting of Christian dignity nor anonymous posts will be published.