Oktoberfest! Sesquicentennial! Spread the word! (we really need help with this, because Gottesdienst is coming out a bit late this quarter and won't be helpful for advertising this)
Since it's the Sesquicentennial of St. Paul's, we've asked Dr. Lawrence Rast to be our speaker, since we expect him to know more about our founding year of 1862 than anyone else we can think of. He'll be speaking on the topic:
“Can Anything Good Come from the Nineteenth Century?”
at St. Paul’s Ev. Lutheran Church, October 7-9, 2012
109 South Elm Street
Kewanee, IL 61443
Now then *ahem*:
Here are some irrefutable reasons you need to come to Oktoberfest in Kewanee:
* A reverent celebration of the Holy Sacrament with solid preaching.
* The chance to receive Holy Absolution before the Divine Service.
* Prof. Lawrence Rast (see below)
* Sheboygan bratwurst cooked by a Sheboygan native for the Sunday banquet.
* Top notch German potato salad too.
* The best evening of drinking and theological discussion in the Missouri Synod.
* That point in the evening when Pastor Eckardt puts on Hotel California and asks, "Now, what does this hymn mean?"
* Solemn Vespers to close your Sunday.
* Good company - a wonderful group of faithful pastors to bounce ideas off of, commiserate, and debate.
Oktoberfest in Kewanee is simply what a general pastors’ conference should be but what many, sadly, are not. But actually, it’s even more than that, because laymen are encouraged to come too, and rub theological shoulders with a huge bunch of great pastors. It will refresh you for your busy fall and winter and send you home with some new theological thought to chew on - it always does!
REGISTRATION: $25 per person (students $20) $40 per couple — includes Sunday banquet and Monday continental and luncheon; no charge for children with parents.
You may register by email or (phone 309-852-2461) leaving your name[s] and address, and which days you intend to be present (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday). You may pay your registration in advance by mail (see above), or with PayPal or a major credit card by clicking here and putting “Oktoberfest” in the purpose line for the donation. Or you may pay the registration fee when you arrive. Please register ahead, even if you choose to pay when you arrive.
Featuring (as we said) Dr. Lawrence Rast, President of Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, Oktoberfest will begin as usual on Sunday night with Choral Vespers, a bratwurst banquet, and a BIG party. Monday features an all-day seminar with Dr. Rast. Dr Rast’s topic, “Can Anything Good Come from the Nineteenth Century?” will be the Monday seminar. On Tuesday, we will host Gottesdienst Central, at which Pastor Eckardt himself will hold forth on the topic of the Christology of the Holy Liturgy.