Monday, November 3, 2014

Cheapening the Pulpit

While I sympathize with preachers who want to exert their freedom from government intrusion, I think the idea of endorsing candidates from the pulpit is beneath the dignity of God's House. I live in a small town and I've lived here a while now. My parishioners who care to know certainly do know about my political leanings. But not from listening to my sermons. Indeed, I think it's important for preachers to make the disclaimer "not the Lord, but I say" whenever they discuss politics with layfolks, even just over a cup of coffee at the local greasy spoon.

But then again, part of my political leaning is that I don't put much stock in elections...so I may be biased.

+HRC

3 comments:

  1. Well said. While I think a consistently Christian worldview requires leaning rightward, will somebody please remind the sheep that GOP does not stand for God's Own Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's own party is far grander and will never end. Now if only someone would remind the sheep that even barn-yard animals have the sense (and dignity) not to insist on individual glasses, when feeding communally.

    Christ called His political "leader" a fox (Lk 13:32), which dominical characterization strikes me as widely applicable to the politicians of today, whatever side of the aisle they plant their whatsits on. The real problem is that I keep finding Abraham Caesar's or George Augustus' visage on the nation's currency and coins, which means that a consistently Christian worldview would make one lean ... and right penurious, as well as sporting a lot of fig-leaves.

    Or course, there's always plastic or PayPal.

    Your (unworthy) servant,
    Herr Doktor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing left for me to say is, I agree completely.

      Delete

Comments are moderated. Neither spam, vulgarity, comments that are insulting, slanderous or otherwise unbefitting of Christian dignity nor anonymous posts will be published.